Tuesday, March 15, 2011

YUM! Philly Cooking Cream - a must try

Italian Cheese and Herb Cooking Creme
You HAVE to try this stuff!  It's so good.  I tried it because I hosted a "House Party" to promote it.  After trying it, I'm going to keep buying it.  I made two different main courses for my "House Party."  First was chicken enchiladas.  Second was a creamy Alfredo-like pasta dish.  Both were super duper easy and quickly devoured.

The cooking creme made is easy to throw together fast meals with a minimum of ingredients.  In addition, I think the Santa Fe flavor would be a great chip dip by itself or with some grated cheddar cheese stirred into it.  I also want to try the Santa Fe flavor as a layer in a seven-layer Mexican dip.  Yum, yum, yum.

ENCHILADAS
My family loves enchiladas, but they are a pain to make, so I don't do it very often.  This recipe is zippy-fast and easy.   It doesn't look like it'll serve a lot, but, with the addition of a nutritious green salad, and some corn or refried beans, it will fully feed my family of seven.  You can have this done in just over 30 minutes. We will be eating enchiladas more often now!

Saute one diced onion in a bit of oil or butter.
Add about 3 C of cooked chopped chicken (2 cans of "church" cannery chicken, 5 "tuna" sized cans,  1 lb pre-cooked frozen diced chicken...)
Stir in 3/4 container of Philly Santa Fe Cooking Creme
and 1 can of diced tomatoes, drained
Add 1/2 C grated Mexican cheese

Spoon this mix into 8 tortillas, roll each up and place into a 13x9 baking dish (sprayed w/ PAM.)
Top with remaining cooking creme.

Bake covered for 15-20 minutes at 350 degrees or until heated through.

Garnish with fresh diced tomatoes & green onions, if desired.
............................................................................

CREAMY BACON FETTUCCINE

You can never go wrong with bacon.  This has a flavor similar to Alfredo, but it's richer & creamier.  I liked it better than Alfredo.  The following recipe will feed eight as a one-pot meal.  It even has a vegi in it, and takes less than 30 minutes from start to finish.  It would take less time if you already had the bacon cooked.  I'm definitely making this again.

Start water boiling for 1 lb fettuccine.  Cook fettuccine, drain.
Meanwhile, cook 1 package bacon (cut into 1/2 inch pieces) until crisp.  Remove bacon from skillet with slotted spoon, then drain off all but about 2 Tbsp of drippings.
Saute 1 chopped red onion in the drippings, until crisp-tender.  (You want this to still have a touch of crunch and you want to preserve some of the red color.)
Add 2 containers Philly Italian Cheese & Herb Cooking Creme,
and 1 C milk,
and 2 C frozen peas.
Then cook and stir about 3 minutes, until warm.
Stir in the cooked fettuccine, and the cooked bacon.

Serve!

Quick tip:  If I'm cooking bacon anyway, I routinely cook up more than I need.  I recently learned to cook it in the oven.  It broils quickly and turns out nice and crisp with a minimum of effort or clean up on my part.  Then I toss the extra bacon into the freezer.  I also keep a pint jar of bacon drippings in the fridge.  Drippings are a great flavoring when cooking eggs in particular.  Just add a smidge to your non-stick skillet or a bit more to any other pan.  This recipe would take next to no time to make using pre-cooked bacon & drippings.

No comments: